Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Charlie Breeanna & the Rose colored glasses

I have always had a very precocious child. I have often wondered if I would be able to take off those rose colored glasses and see my child the way she truly is. I have always thought that she is very smart, especially when it came to verbal intelligence. She has always been very verbal. I can remember when the pediatrician asked me if she was saying 5 words. At that time she was already using 11 word sentences. We laughed and answered yes. I have never really thought anything of it. For years I have told parents to talk to their children. Don't talk at them. Don't baby talk to them. Don't label things. Just talk to them. For years I have told parents that and thought nothing of it until we had Charlie. That is what Dusty and I have done. We do not simplify things for her we just explain what we mean. All of this to say that tonight at the store I was blown away. We were in Hobby Lobby doing what we always do when we are shopping, telling stories. (On a side note, one day I will be like A.A. Milne and publish my stories.). This one happened to be about a princess who was hiking up a mountain to find special shiny stones. We were telling the story and Brantley started fussing. I thought nothing of it as I handed him his passifer. There was a Hobby Lobby employee on the isle that we were on. The story had come to the point where the princess had found her stones and was putting them in her satchel. Yes, I know who uses that word but it was what came into my mine. Charlie asked what a satchel was and laughed when I said it was like a bag or a backpack or a purse. She said the word a couple of times and then said "tell the rest of the story." About this time Brantley started fussing. Charlie says "Mom, he's being 'un-corrigible' isn't he." I laughed. This past week I had told Charlie to quite being so incorrigible when she was throwing a temper tantrum at bedtime. The lady asked me if she how old she was. I said three. She said she must be really intelligent.
Now, of course being the mom that I am I replied with a very simple "I think so but what do I know, I am just her mom." I never really think about her because she is mine. I think she is super intelligent. She blows me away on a daily basis with what she picks up and what she knows. Dusty teases her and says she is already smarter than he is. I just don't think about it when I am talking to her. I use new words because words are fun. She picks up on them and I have the smartest three year old in the world. She is so smart that she can tell you that you are being 'un-corrigible' and that she will have to ask someone's advice to find out what is her responsibility. And yes, she really does speak like that!

2 comments:

mommy2alex said...

She is SO smart, beautiful, imaginitive and lucky to have a wonderful family:)

Kristin and Co. said...

I'm sure you are a bit biased, but my guess is that yes, she's pretty bright to spit out those kind of words.