Friday, February 13, 2009

This parenting thing

Sometimes I am just worn thin. Last night was one of "those" nights. Dusty said Charlie had to clean her room. We cleaned her room. I refuse to clean her room b/c I did not play with her toys and blankets but because she is 3 she still needs a LOT of guidance. So, we cleaned her room. After two hours of fighting.
"Pick up your blankets."
"I don't want to pick up my blankets."
" I know that you do not want to pick up your blankets but you need to pick up your blankets."
And it went on and on and on.
We took a break for dinner.
Then ten more minutes to finish and an early bed time since she had been screaming and telling mommy and daddy no all day. Dusty took over brushing teeth tonight. The following conversation happened.
"No, Daddy I don't want to."
"I don't care what you want. Brush your teeth."
"No, I'm not going to."
"Young lady. You will obey and not be disrespectful. Brush your teeth."
"Why don't you just spank me and get it over with."
YES, my three year old just told her father to just spank her and get it over with. I am in the other room fuming, knowing that my husband is in her room fuming. Fast forward a few spankings and she is still brushing her teeth, saying no, and going to bed early.
And then today she tells me no and I have the presence of mind to calmly say,
"Excuse me, remember what God says about obeying your mommy and daddy." And she said, "Okay mommy," and went right to doing what I asked her to do.
My question is this, did last night make a difference or was today just a different day?

1 comment:

Kristin and Co. said...

Oh my, that was like reading a scene from my household script...down to the "you will do this". This parenting thing...