I don't tend to let my kids "play" much unsupervised. I don't know if it is the control freak in me or the worrier but I am always afraid they are going to get hurt or get into something. But, Grandma lets them roam unsupervised in the yard. Most days this is not a problem. They stay within grandma's acre and don't do too much damage. The last time my two wonderful children were at grandma's they experienced roaming in the field behind grandma's. They thought that was so great to have that freedom. With this freedom come the lesson of barb wire hurts and cows will spook. The last time they were at grandma's they also got some unsupervised play in the yard. They decided to get down to their panties and diaper and have a dirt fight. Really I don't know what it is about these two, but they love throwing dirt and mud. So, Sunday when we went to grandma's and knowing my two I told them:
"C and B, you can play in grandma's yard but NO DIRT fight. We are going to see oh' grandpa's. And leave your clothes on."
We let them play outside for 30 minutes. It was time to go see Oh' grandpa. I went out to get them. They are NO where to be found. Grandma and Grandpa come out.
Grandpa: "Don't worry they are just in the pasture. They are fine."
Me-"This is why I don't let my kids play outside. They get into too much."
Grandma: "They can't hurt anything. They are just in the field. They never go near the pond."
And where, oh where were my kids. Not near the pond. Oh no, they were IN the pond. THANK God for no rain lately. The pond was only waist high to my two year old. Who was having a BALL in the Mud. Not water but MUD.
Dusty tops the hill to the pond seeing them in the middle covered from head to toe in mud. They are laughing and throwing mud at each other. Dusty proceeds to tell them that their mother (ME) is going to kill them.
Charlie says, "But why Daddy? We are not throwing dirt and we kept our clothes on."
Sure enough both kids had taken off their shoes and left them on the bank. They had every stitch of clothing on. My kids chose to follow the law. I am going to really have to get better about explaining the why of the "Law."
We got to see Oh' Grandpa it was just a little later than we had originally wanted.
4 comments:
Oh Amy, that would have scared even me to death. When I read the word "pond" I thought "she let them run around knowing there was a pond they could drown in?" But oh, even I would get chills there. I'm a freak about backyard pools and stuff like that...oh no...don't do that again.
Said with love and COMPLETE understanding about grandparents :-)
The pond is about 2 acres away from the house and across two fences. They have NEVER ventured that far away before. There is always a first time for everything.
Infuriating for poor you, but I bet they're remember the fun they had that day forever :-)
Ha, looks like they had a great time!
Post a Comment