Sunday, July 4, 2010

Beating myself Up

Today was a good day and an Alexander day all rolled into one. If you don't know what an Alexander day is you must read Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst. Today seemed to be one of those days that put me in tears and had me questioning if I was a good mom. ( I won't give you my whole story). I hate those days. I have really been struggling with my kids lately. I have the two best kids in the world. My four year old is so smart (I know everyone thinks their kid is smart). She asks questions like what is a slave and says that her babies are communicating when she has them close to each other. She is very curious. She is vivacious and full of life. And then there is B (23 months). He is funny. He is silly. He has the BEST laugh. He is persistent. He likes to figure things out. And yet these two great kids do not listen! Charlie, B it is lunch time come inside (7 times). Sit down in your chair (10 times). And still nothing... Do not throw food at the table. (food goes flying). It seems that my kids (great kids) just don't listen and especially to me. We went to D's parents today. His sister was there. Her kids always seem to mind and are quiet and still.


Mine are CRAZY!!! (And please don't think that I don't love this about them but somedays --like today-- it just leaves me beating myself up) At Dusty's mom's today she allowed us to play cards with grandpa. Thank you for that. She was "watching" the kids. They began playing in the mud. Okay, they were having fun! A LOT Of fun. I guess I can' t get too mad even though both kids have used all their clean clothes already. This will be the second time they have had to change clothes today. They are covered. I grabbed my camera and headed outside to capture their joy only to have Charlie throw mud at me. So, here is my dilemma. I begin to get frustrated with the fact that my kids have not listened all day and now, she was disrespectful and threw mud at me. None of the other kids threw mud on thier parents, just mine. Dusty on the other hand sees this as a great thing. "Amy, this tells me that you play with her. I don't think she is being disrespectful at all."



I really wish I could agree with him. I really wish I were not at the point today that I cried and beat myself up b/c my kids don't listen and Charlie threw mud at me. But on a good note, don't those three just look like they are having the BEST time.

3 comments:

Susan Beth said...

You kids sound so well within normal (except I'm certain they are smarter than many!), and you sound like a normal good mom - maybe even a great mom because you take the time to question yourself! Kids the ages of your kids are testing limits and still learning. I think all kids suffer with the listening problem, and the best person I've heard about how to deal with it is Kevin Leeman (sp?) in his book "Have a New Kid by Friday" He makes the funniest consequences for not learning - safe and loving of course, but still gets the kids into listening and responding mode!

A Soldier Girl said...

We all question ourselves when it comes to parenting .. maybe you should start taking things away from them or hell throw some mud back at him but then at the end tell him look .. do not EVER do that again, it is disrespectful and you DO NOT like it or ELSE.

My kids have their days when they have the listening ears turned on low volume and then by the third time of me repeating myself .. they tend to hear me LOUD AND CLEAR .. I have no patience for that after a while. LOL.

Hope things pan out .. and yes they looked like they were having a BLAST.

Den Momma Extraordinaire said...

Oh yes, days like that. Wait, I have those often...like right now. "Paul, do NOT touch the Wii again." For the billionth time since we got the Wii last year. So I smack his butt. I doubt it will affect his line of thinking.

I would have to say that the mud slinging was an attempt to get you to play. Now, when you say "Charlie, I'm not playing in the mud and do not do that again" and then she slings the mud at you? That's grounds for no more playing in the mud and a little time out.

You know what I think a lot of my boys' listening problems are? It usually seems to get worse when I've been griping/yelling/lecturing/ yelling/screaming/sighing/growling all the time. They start tuning me out and then it just goes downhill. I use my loud voice too much :(