Charlie has been in LOVE with Africa since she was 2. One day this last August she informed me that she "KNEW" what God wanted her to be when she grew up. "God wants me to be a missionary. I am going to going to be a missionary to Africa." Today in her homework folder, I found this paper.
She has been talking about a baby sister for a while. I thought this writing assignment was just too cute. And then, I asked her about it. "This is my baby sister. Her name is Lily. She is crying because she wants her African orphan mommy. She has pigtails. She is in a box with a blankie and a rattle. She is in the box because she is getting shipped to our house from Africa. They gave her to the mail truck. The mail man brought her to me from Africa. She likes zebras so she has zebra stripes."
When I asked her where, Charlie said she got this idea from because her friends (and mine) are getting a brother from Africa. These dear friends of ours are in the process of adopting a child from Africa. We often pray for Isaiah. We often pray for these friends as they wait. I am touched to see that this kind of everyday life comes out in her school work. Even if it seems silly that you can buy a sister through the mail with $100.

No comments:
Post a Comment