
I don't know if it is the stories from Papa Charlie returning home from Vietnam and being spit on or if it is just growing up on an air base, but I have always thanked soliders in uniform for their service. I also have the kids say thank you. For Memorial Day we always go to Red Rock Canyon in Hinton, Oklahoma. This year was no different. Our campsite was right by one of the repeling areas. At one point in the evening a young man drove up. He got out and heard the music from the campsite. "Is that Veggie Tales?" (He gets bonus points in B;s book for knowing who Bob was.) He climbed the mountain and repelled a few times. Each time he came down Charlie had a different set of questions for him. He was very gracious to answer. On a trip back from the bathroom I noticed that he had infantry on his truck. I had Charlie ask if he was a solider. He answered yes. He was in the Army. She told him thank you for his service. He was so touched that he came back from his truck with the circle coin. He apologized for only have one. He wanted to give her something. I am not real sure of their significance but to me they are incredibly special. The fact that some young (he had to be late teens early 20's) would give my daughter this token just touches my heart. We looked at the coin and he left. B was very upset that he did not have a coin. The young man apologized again for only having one on him. We told him it was no big deal and that we were very honored and thankful for his service and sacrifice.

He came back sometime later. He was camping in Red Rock as well and had found a second coin in his gear that he had forgotten about. I guess taking the time to tell soldiers (young or old) means something to them. I will never forget this young solider. I pray that God keeps him and his "friends", as well as the rest of the soldiers on duty, safe. I am so thankful to live in a country where I am free.
1 comment:
what a touching story. thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment