Friday, July 3, 2009

Off to school

I just finished a great book. Off to school: a Parent's-Eye View of the kindergarten year by Irene Hannigan. I am there this year. I know how my parents feel now. It is completely different then in years past. I understand the nerves. Who will my child's teacher be? Will my child's teacher see what I see in Charlie or will she just see a bossy, easily excited, high energy kid? Will she make friends? Will she be able to share? Will she be able to focus? How do I know that sending her to school is a good idea this year? Should I have kept her out one more year? Can I have a pre-parent conference? Can it be longer than 15 minutes? Should I write the teacher a note? Will the teacher ask me to tell me about Charlie? What will I say? Is there not something I can take for this? Each day that passes the crazier I get. I am not ready for her to be in school. Before I know it she is going to be in college. Dusty reminds me daily that she will be driving before she is in college. And that she will be 40....someday. I know that I am over reacting. I have an amazing friend that keeps giving me the pep talk..."Just wait until October. You will see a different child." I just pray that she doesn't get tired of repeating this. I think I may need to hear it a few hundred more times. How am I going to handle this school thing?

2 comments:

Kristin and Co. said...

Ha! Now you can't sit on your side of the table at conference time with that plastic smile on your face and repeat "your child is very nice" to the parents over and over and over again.

Wink.

By saying "you," you do know I mean teachers collectively. I can't tell you how many conferences I've been to of Rachel's where I'm just like "could you please just tell me something about my kid, anything at all specific...do you even know which one she is?"

Oooh, I'm pointing my fingers at you and doing the smirking dance now.

mommy2alex said...

By putting it in HIS hands! Plus Charlie will dazzle her teachers so much that you have nothing to worry about! I would have the same anxieties about Alex starting 1st grade this next year, but his teacher is moving up with him, so the same teacher, no worries for me! 2nd grade will be my nail-biter, though!
{HUGS}