Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A Look Back

2011 has been a very hard year.  It has also been a year of answered prayers.  In January Dusty and I began reading our bible together.  We read John and most of Romans.  I have prayed for this since I knew in July of 1999 that Dusty was "the one."  In February,  I began getting ready for a speaking engagement.  I was going to give my testimony at a women's  retreat.  This was NOT something I have every thought I would do.  In March,  Dusty and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary.  In April, I spoke at the retreat.  And found that God used it to show me just how faithful he has been throughout my life.  In May, I was matched with two incredible women from church through a mentoring program.  Dusty lost his job and Charlie was put on a "Individual Reading Plan." God was so faithful to have given me eyes to see all the ways that this was HIS plan for our lives.   In June I turned 35 (ouch)  and Dusty got a new job.  God's faithfulness prevails.  In July I became a single mom.  Dusty went to Tulsa.  Charlie turned 6.  I had a "break-down" in front of friends.  That was embarrassing!  In August, I opted not to have a birthday party for my little guy who turned 3.  He has not let me forget it.  By September we were in the full swing of school, single parenthood,  new job,  a kindergartner for the second time, and a three year old who is every bit of 3.  In October,  we dealt with parent teacher conferences and Dusty coming home.  No more single mom. No more going to church by myself.   But now,  what does normal look like?  In November,  life was still crazy and I was not coping.  Charlie was a flower girl in Gwen's wedding.  Gwen was our flower girl.  Was she really old enough?  It was a beautiful wedding.  Dusty left for on last week of training.  Charlie had 2 UTI's this month and B two ear infections.  December came.  And, all the "normal"  did not exist.  I did not do a single thing with/for my kids that I normally do in December.  We did not leave nativity  for friends to find.  We did not look at the Christmas lights.   We did not go to Bethlehem.  We did not do our Jesse Tree. We did not do our advent calendar.  We did not read a book every night.  We did not read what God wants for Christmas.  We did not make a gingerbread house, play dough or cookies.   But,  we did have a lot of cuddle time.  We had a lot of family time.  And, I began to get better (Thank you Dr. Grizzle).   2011 would have been a horrible year had it not been for the blessing that God gave me.  God gave me a heart to see each of his blessings.  He gave me an incredible  husband.  I love him more today that I thought ever possible.  He gave me Mary, a babysitter for B and someone I now count as a friend.  He gave me Laurie who took the time to come over each week and study God's word with me.  He gave me Sherry who came over each week and encouraged me.  He gave me Mary who just helped me keep going and is my right hand man in the classroom.   He gave me a sense of belonging.  He gave me friends that I now feel I live life with Duncan's, Murphy's and Hixsons.  It has been a year of great trials and INCREDIBLE blessings!

1 comment:

Keshet said...

Sounds like it's been a challenging year but you've risen to the challenge--hoping 2012 brings new lessons in an easier form!