Monday, April 19, 2010
I know I'm getting old...
Really I do. But it is not always a slap in the face like today. Today, April 19th is the 15th year anniversary of the Oklahoma City Bombing. No, I was not in OKC at the time. I was in fact, sitting in my Senior year World History class with Mr. Anderson watching the "world news" which we did from 9 till 9:15 every morning. This morning, they broke in with a report. I did not at the time know how significant this day would play on my life. Fast forward a few years. I was teaching at a daycare in Edmond. I had this one little guy 4 1/2 at the time I had him. I loved this kid. He made the BEST connections but he was very active. I suggested that maybe mom give him a year before sending him to school (he had a July B-day). They did not and by the end of 1st grade he was on "medication" that made him a zombie. I vowed to become a teacher b/c little guys like him needed me. Back to Ian...He was one of the first "dates" I was asked out on in Edmond. He wanted to take me to Del Rancho to get a steak sandwich supreme. His mom would drive b/c he was only 4 but I could sit in the front. If you worked with young kids you would know how incredibly special it was that I could "sit in the front." This was the kid that told his mom not to get a new car. But to put chicken noodle soup in the gas tank. What great connections: when I am sick I eat chicken noodle soup and I get better. The car is sick, give it chicken noodle soup and it will get better. Now how do these two things connect. Ian was in the bombing when he was two. There were times in class when he would point to the scar on his forehead and say "I got this when the bad man blew up my school with his truck." He would say this and then go back to what he was doing. I got to thinking today. If that was 15 years ago, Ian would be in high school and pretty close to graduating. Boy, I am old not only is one of the first kids that I taught getting close to graduating high school. I graduated 15 years ago in May. Yikes!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What was his last name? I know an Ian that's a senior over at PC.
Post a Comment