My favorite book when I was 10 was
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson.
I loved Leslie and how she created this place out of thin air (and books for inspiration) that she and Jesse could be whom ever they wanted. This place that they could escape into. I loved that in this book they were not "too old" to pretend. I have watched my oldest struggle this year with that "in between" age. At school the girls are not really into "playing" the way she is. I don't know if it is me as her mother, me because of my job or her. Or, if it is a combination of all of these things. She has an amazing imagination. She would read or watch something over the years and I would provide her with whatever she needed to "be" that character. I spent
way too much money on a toy a few years back. And the funny thing about this particular purchase is that I wish I had done it so many years earlier. I bought a set of
play silks. My husband thought I was crazy spending that much money on 7 piece of fabric. I told him I know but we have watched the kids play expand over the last five years. And let me tell you...AMAZING!


C is using her silks as butterfly wings.
C is using her silks as hair for Madeline Hatter from the books Ever After High. She LOVES Madi best. I love that her imagination is just as silly.

C and B love to play this game called "Little Lost Kids". It is their version of Boxcar children. They use their silks as capes.
B is using his silk as a "cloak". He is a knight that must complete quests before he can rescue the princess.

This was how they used their silks to begin with when they were little. As they have gotten older (they are now 10 and 7), their creativity has increased. And so has their use of the silks. They have begun to use them in their habitat play. The silks are the water. The silks are the sand, mud, grass, or even snow. I love the way that they mix their toys to create such an elaborate play space.


Or sometimes they use them as the play source. Here C is showing off her choices from her ice cream shop. You can choose cake, chocolate ice cream, vanilla ice cream or caramel ice cream.

The best thing for me was that she used a simple plastic cup, a ball of yarn and a silk scarf to create a root beer float. Such creativity and imagination!
 |
| Raspberry Bush |
 |
| Blueberry bush |
 |
| Strawberry vine |
 |
| Cherry tree |
 |
| Banana Tree |
 |
| Apple Tree |
 |
| Orange Tree |

And my favorite way that they have used the silks and a boa...They made a cow names Bessy. I love the creativity that silks have brought to my kids play. I know that these last few pictures of their "farm" show more than silks. We did not have the "colors" that they were looking for so they improvised. They used socks, cloth napkins, boas, scarves, ribbon, skirts, table cloths and lace. When they were done ...four days later... they returned each item back to it's proper place. I am ever so thankful for spending so much money all those years ago.
What "simple play" item have you purchased that has increased your child's imaginative play?
No comments:
Post a Comment