

I love my kids. They are incrediblly smart ( I know all parents feel this way). But they are. And they want to learn the wierdest stuff for their age, especially my oldest. Charlie loves biographies. I don't know many 6 and 7 year olds that love to read biographies. That is when she first began her love of them. Annie Oakley is her favorite so far. (That and Lewis and Clark). Last year we read everything in the library on the three. Many of our friends home school. The audio stories that the kids listen to (www.sparklestories.com) home school. So we are surrounded by homeschoolers. They asked if I would "home school" them for the summer. Now, I am not by any means really home schooling them. But, we are calling it home schooling. We sat down and made a map of our summer (like Martin and Slyvia's Map of the Year). We listed all the things that we wanted to learn and do. One of Charlie's items on the list was to learn to shoot a gun like Annie Oakley. Now, I am all for my kids learning to hunt with their dad but I think that they are still too young for that. So, we decided to use their dad's and I's rubber band guns instead. The first day, C made the targets that Annie shot as a child: a pegion, a candle, a card and an apple (we left the cigarett out). So they had a great time taking turns shooting the targets.
Then today, their dad showed us a "cool" way to keep the cards from falling over. We held them up with clothes pins. So, Annie Oakley math facts is what we worked on today. We took all numbers 1 to 10 and lined them up on the table or piano. Every two cards you shoot down you add them together. Once we went through the entire deck once then, C did subtraction facts. We had so much fun!
So, If you try Annie Oakley Math Facts, please let me know how much fun you had. We used rubber band guns. But I am sure that you can use nerf guns just as easily.
No comments:
Post a Comment